SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lotto and kamikaze players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceman
User

PostPosted: 24.11.2005 22:32    Post subject: Lotto and kamikaze players Reply with quote

Do you know this situation?? The game is tie and then your oponent makes kamikaze/lotto or however this sh** is called?? Maybe he gets a colonel,maybe a major and then he is up or when you re up your oponent gets the flag?? I hate this kind of playing stratego,you too? Just because it s funny or maybe because they are too silly to win a game otherwise? Why is it so "in" to play like this? I hate it!! Here are some players who went kamikaze in my games and with this post i want to warn you about this players! I can not say that they often go kamikaze,but in my games they went lotto/kamikaze without needing it:

mind
Napo
treibich
sinus
Rapunzel

I m looking forward to hearing from you how you think about it and maybe you know some other players who also went kamikaze and then name them here!!?? silver or spion,"maybe" ! (just an idea of me) you can make something like the x-files with kamikaze/lottoplayers,just a question if it is possible and if you would make something like this,
thank you!

Greetings Iceman
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 25.11.2005 01:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi iceman,

maybe you lost a game by a lotto player, but again there is no lotto in the game. all have 6 bombs all know this before the game starts and some players can read the setups very well. of course some players beat blind, but this depends of 2 different situations:

1. your lost: all you can do is a last attack and this is part of the game.
if you dont like it, prevent a last attack. but what else can a player do?
waiting till the marschall moves back for a sure loss? think not...

2. all is equal but you beat blind unkown and unmoved pieces. you can watch this in games with very good or very bad players. normaly the players lose the games, but sometimes they smell the bombs and then you are lost. play different every game, put some bombs in first rows and make no mistake. then the win in on your side.

a list of lotto players is nonsence. there is no lotto in the game, beating blind is a risky way to play the game. you can not expect that players play your style or buy your bluffs. also you can risk your pieces too.

sleep a night, play your style and enable ranking options.
and remember: losing by a "lotto" player doesnt mean much. play 5 games in a row and you see who is the better player.

greetings
Stratego
-deleted594
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 25.11.2005 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found players here on gravon especially high ranked players do not like draws so they will try blind luck or they know a few of your bombs. Some would rather try and win by blind luck than draw. Great players would rather lose by trying to win than to not try at all and draw.
-deleted129
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 26.11.2005 01:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

2pac wrote:
I have found players here on gravon especially high ranked players do not like draws so they will try blind luck or they know a few of your bombs. Some would rather try and win by blind luck than draw. Great players would rather lose by trying to win than to not try at all and draw.

1)
If I got ONE high piece left (which is higher then the highest of my opponent, and my flag is bombed) and the opponent got several moving pieces without a miner,
I will make an all or nothing attempt to hit the flag if for example he got 3 or 4 free pieces which one of them must be the flag.
If I do nothing I never can loose but in this case I will take a risk.

2)
But if my flag is bombed and the opponents also (or it looks it is bombed) we both don't got any miners left and we both got ONE piece running circles around the lake I will offer a draw.

Is 1) considered lotto ??

In my opinion not. Lotto (for me) is when the game starts the opponents starts hitting blindly with a high piece and kill such a large ammount of soldiers while dodging the bombs or hits the flag accidently.....
All good, bad, excellent or starting players will loose to this kind of behaviour. No problem because the odds that they will win are low.

Greetings,

Wussy
eindhoven
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 27.11.2005 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

netjes gesproken, helemaal mee eens

groetjes van en uit eindhoven
psychicwarrior
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 21.12.2005 00:34    Post subject: The Lotto Question Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course no one likes to think they are smart by putting all their bombs in the back row only to have a crash and burn player come through the front lines like a fox in the hen house. Yet this is the risk you take by doing so.

On the argument that this is no skill to simply lotto, there is a point to that of course yet... any army must always be prepared to handle a frontal assault as well as a deceptive strike. Failure to do so and complain the enemy doesnt think will have a real soldier sitting in a POW camp for many moons. Smart generals now you must be ready to handle that possibility and if you don't.. the torture chambers await.

Furthermore you completely and very naively discount the value of intuition and a players ability to "read" or sense the opponents set up..this is a key factor not to be ignored. As a person who studied with Department of Defense psychic team leader, and what they term "remote viewing", I know first hand that all powerful armies around the world employ psychics to "tune in" to the opposing leaders to "sense" what they are up to. The Russians and Chinese are the best at this. They employed these tactics very successfully in WW II. The chinese are brilliant at even using a persons horoscope to predict their actions. Is that cheap and underhanded? All is fair in Love and War my friend. Don't be so naive. The Vietnamese used this very effectively against the Americans and showed the powers of Planetary and Psychic predictions. They deomstrated the superior determination and ability to employ both psychic
and psychological warfare beats overwhlmeingly superior wealth, technology and steel. There are many other great examples of this, Alexander the Great is but another who employed psychics ( they were called oracles back then) to "read" the enemy.

In fact even now, American and Russian Psychic teams , combine talents to determine unknown phenomena in space where no other intelligence possibilities are available. The book Psychic Warrior by David Morehouse, with whom I studied, depicts this in detail.

So to completely discount this "lotto" style of play as rudimentary is simply showing that you fail to recognize the true power of the mind and spirit coming through our "6th sense" of intuition. When it is correctly employed in games like this where deception, bluffing and intelligence are big factors, it can be your most effective weapon. Many of the top players in Gravon are very good at this. Nobody has enough scouts to figure out everything.

YOur argument, if taken to poker, would mean bluffing would be illegal and we should just play with all cards up leaving to complete chance who wins. rather than adding the real and great game that it is where all is hidden and deception and secrecy are key weapons.

Stratego is the same. Eliminating the ability to lotto would make it boring and lifeless. If you want to see all the pieces, play chess. That's purely a game of infinite combinational possibilities that keep people analyzing it for years. Bluffing, lottoing and deception as well as planning your positions all combine to make it a fascinating combination of skills that make Stratego the great game that it is. A wiser player understands this. To the less wise, they simply complain and label others lottoers simply displaying their lack of awareness of the real game at hand.
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 21.12.2005 01:19    Post subject: Nice post edfx! Reply with quote

Wow.....it sounds like you know your stuff ed!

Just like to say that your post was a Good post!

Congrats on making the most interesting post I have heard in a while.
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 21.12.2005 01:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor edfx! I hope you are not a salesman! You'd be as broke as a joke. It's good to see somebody else putting up a long post and I thank you for that, ed. However, have some pride next time and proof read it first so that you can remove the typos. You don't want the gravon public thinking that you are an uneducated, lotto addicted buffoon, do you?
-deleted594
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 21.12.2005 02:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,
How many "lotto" players do you know can calculate what the defense is going to be? conservative, aggressive, bombs deep, behind lakes, high ranks on the flanks, middle etc. Because I don't. How can anyone tell what defense is in store for you. All I see are 40 unmoved pieces. As for me I dont see lotto as tactical strategy, period.
esquire
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 21.12.2005 05:47    Post subject: EDFX IS AWARDED THE GRAVON DUNCE CAP Reply with quote

I agree with 2pac on this one, although I did find Edfx's post humorous and enlightening. Anyone that starts EVERY game with lotto is a poor player (I am not speaking of a player who lottos in order to catch-up late in the game). They do not know ANY game info (so cut your theory of being able to sense pieces or being able to read your opponent's layout--nothing moved yet!!!!!!!!); and yet, they blindly attack--NO intelligent strategy is based on this approach. I think you played the CD version of Stratego and adopted the computer’s strategy. If you do not know what I am speaking of, I shall inform you what it does. The computer blindly attacks every piece of yours until it hits your open flag. If your flag is bombed, you always win. When you set the game at a level higher, all that happens is that the computer “blindly” attacks more pieces successfully. The difference between you and the computer is that it is a computer and you are an infant-minded simpleton. If I were your teacher, you would spend every day in the corner with the dunce cap on, because you surely would not learn anything sitting in your seat listening to the lecture. You have played countless games already and still use these feeble-minded tactics. How have you improved your Stratego skills since you started playing the game? The answer: You have not improved in any way. For this reason, you are awarded the "Gravon Dunce Cap". Enjoy it while you can, because there are many followers in your footsteps who want your prize.

I think Edfx's post used up all his remaining brain cells. I do not expect any other theoretical posts coming soon from him. And edfx, I read your post the first time--kind of overdoing it by posting it three times. As to your post: The great armies that actually won battles used intelligence (even if bad, in Bush's case) before going into battle. They would not send their top marshal and general by themselves, head-first into a valley of land mines and pesky spies. Instead, they would send in the lowly infantry or even lower ranking officers to get a feel for where they stood (a risk-assessment). After assessing the situation, they use calculated moves to strike intelligent areas and come up victorious. They certainly did not rely on psychic powers. So, are we to believe that you are a psychic Mr. Edfx? If so, how do you explain your losses?

As to you edfx, you brashly send in a determined marshal or general blindly. You do not know what fate lies ahead. You do not even make intelligent risk-management moves (for instance, trading your marshal for a general to gain information). You attack anything, moved or unmoved. In my opinion, your style of play is not strategic in any sense. And, please, do not compare your moronic style with any past glorious armies. It is a shame to use your name in the same sentence of past glorious generals, kings, and empires. Your style of play is in comparison of me rushing into a fight with Mike Tyson with my eyes closed and no protective gear for my ears.

Keep living in your delusional state of thinking you are a top player. I by no means think I am a top player, but I do know the difference between their strategy and yours. Until you learn how to play the game we call Stratego this will be a desire of yours that will never be accomplished. As it stands now, players that lotto the way you do rank very poorly. Therefore, I expect to see your name in the bottom of the rankings for a very long time. Good day.

Moreover, a note for the lotto hating players. Just play the game defensive and set up good traps and you will win these games over 90% of the time.

Last edited by esquire on 22.12.2005 07:37; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
skywalker
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 21.12.2005 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

*applause for esquire*

(nice post)
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 21.12.2005 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I incorrectly assuming that Esquire does not like edfx? If it helps soothe your anger, Esquire, I delivered 2 excrutiating blowouts to ed's theories last night. Lets consider it an example of mild therapy for both Esquire and edfx. What would gravon do without me?
Also, there isn't any need to be humble, Esquire. Haven't you learned that from me yet? You are certainly one of the top players. After all, you are consistently rated at the top. Now shed that humble nature, continue your verbal attacks (your ill willed post made the hair on my back stand up - thank you) and boast like god gave you the right to!
-deleted260
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 21.12.2005 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadistic...plenty of people do not like that clown EDFX.....i am one of them...EDFX, that post is retarded as much as you are, and in addition...it was a pathetic attempt to convince people that you have half a brain...stick to your LOW LEVEL stratego... and just dont talk or post
esquire
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 21.12.2005 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
art
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 22.12.2005 08:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is exponentially getting funnier. I have nothing to add to the details of edfx's game, except to say that once he smells the marshall you better make sure the kids are safely tucked into beds surrounded by fuses. Esquire don't be humble. Your posting skills rank right up there, even topping that post about how bombs can be ... never mind.

If edfx can win 46% of the time, he must be doing something right. Taking the Baghdad approach, if you strap enough explosives around yourself and walk into a populated area, you certainly are going to take out more people, more often, than being diffused. Risk assessment is not the terrorist's goal. Downing the imperialists is!!! "Hell to you 1645 ranked and higher players. You're going down buddy".

Besides loving the Vietcong, who else do you sympathize with Ed?

Can someone setup a poll to guess edfx's 2006 winning percentage. I will take you out 50 percent of the time next year. Thats quite an improvement over my current 25%.

Please everyone do not avoid the lotto player. Would you tell the Iraqi citizens to stop driving their cars or riding busses in order to prevent the terrorist from blowing themselves and others to smitherenes.
? To quote the greatest American president of the 21st century, "There are only 2 options, victory and defeat. And I sure aint gonna be a loser like my daddy."

See you in the rice patties, Ed. Bring the napalm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: