SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

request for game review vs edfx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> Stratego-Archiv
View previous topic :: View next topic  
art
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 12.06.2005 18:08    Post subject: request for game review vs edfx Reply with quote

Sunday morning I entered a room where our most popular boy was taunting edfx, and after helping him out some, I joined a timed 10:00 min game vs edfx. After about 10 moves all the rest of my moves started to take about 30 seconds for the piece to move into the next spot, and the halo appeared around the square as I waited. On edfx's moves I waited for him, and the timer ticked down on his side, but in actuality, he had already moved and the move was on my clock, suddenly the timer jumped down 2 minutes off my game time, but it took so long for the move to switch back to me.

After about 5 minutes of game time in which I was ahead of him by a 1 colonel 2 majors, over 1 colonel and 1 major, rest pretty much equal, the timer was in the 1:45 range for my game moves. There were no complicated strategy sessions going on as we swapped 10's & 9's w/o each of those 4 pieces ever taking any other pieces. I started asking him to agree to ask spion for a "non count" of the game, as it continued to malfunction. He didn't know I was being serious, so he ignored. Soon it got so bad I had to just give up.

I hope Stratego could look into this.
My connection was bad, but I never got totally taken out. ONly once did I log out, and log back in. AFter that I just started to do my best.

Its not the points that matter, I have room for error, being in the 1250 range. Its the principle
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 13.06.2005 00:11    Post subject: bronstein Reply with quote

hi art,

spion will look at the game. no one else can see played games in any way.
(and this is a must)
for future, please notice room nr. - day and time. its easier for spion
to find the game. i dont know what he finds, but if anything went wrong,
he will find a sprtive solution as usual.

greetings
Stratego

ps. if the prob was only at your side, like computer probs or any kind of
probs with the connection, its up to you. only your opponent can ask then
for deleting the result. maybe edfx can post here his point of view.
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 13.06.2005 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art,

The problem was your internet connection. It must have been very slow.

Consider the following case:

Your opponent moves at 23:30:00. The move is sent to the server and the server gets it at 23:30:01. Now your opponents clock stops running and yours starts.
The move is now send to your client. Along with the move information the server sends the new timer values to keep both clients synchronised.
So the move is sent to you at 23:30:01.
Your internet connection is very slow, lets as$ume it takes 10 seconds for a packet to arrive at your pc. The move arrives at 23:30:11.
Between 23:30:00 and 23:30:11, your client as$umed that your opponent is making his move, so your client showed you the opponents clock running down. The first 4 seconds are free, so your opponents clock seemed to have run down by 11-4 = 7 seconds. Now the move arrives. The client reads out the move info along with the new clock values and makes a correction: Your opponent moved within the free 4 seconds, so his clock really did not run at all. Your client now as$umes your clock is starting to run at 23:30:11, but from the servers point of view, your clock is already running since 23:30:01, about 10 seconds. Now you make your move and the move is sent back to the server at 23:30:12, it arrives at 23:30:22 due to your slow connection.
The server now calculates: 23:30:01 to 23:30:22 makes 21 seconds, minus 4 free seconds: 17 seconds down.
Your client still as$umes your clock did not run at all because you made your move within one second.
Now your move is acknowledged back to your client along with the clock resync. The move arrives at your client 10 seconds later again and your client now has to correct the clock and substracts 17 seconds... In the meantime your opponent did his next move and your clock started to run again without any chance for your client to note that.

Probably the best thing is to write something into the chat just before starting the game.
If your message is not looped back to you within 2 seconds, its better to not play bronstein.

I hope that will explain the problem..

Best regards
spion
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 13.06.2005 21:17    Post subject: askinf edfx Reply with quote

hi art,

today i spoke with edfx - he agreed to delete the game. very sportive behaviour. he never saw your question - otherwise he had agreed during game. so the game will be deleted from your record.

greetings
stratego
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> Stratego-Archiv All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: