SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We need to do without the "suitable opponent" func
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 29.04.2014 19:50    Post subject: We need to do without the "suitable opponent" func Reply with quote

I can barely play anybody if I want my name to be ranked again, so I am playing mostly unranked games and avoiding any players under 1500 ranking. Is this a good thing for the game site? How are the mid to lower level players going to improve if we higher skilled players avoid them?

I used to play everybody but this new feature ruins that. I don't think it is good at all when the top 10 players only play one another and almost nobody else.
sohal
User

PostPosted: 30.04.2014 09:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since MArch, 30th you played me 5 times, all those games were unranked.

Since you need only 3 additional games against adequate opponent in order to be ranked, if you have made those games ranked, you would be ranked yet and could have played 4 more games against middle players.

Same happens against others top 10 players : 4 unraked games against mondfalke, 2 unranked games against edbomb, 1 unranked game against nochance.

It's just up to you man...
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 30.04.2014 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you have not played half as many ranked games as I have, Sohal. You have a lot of catching up to do.

The reason I played those games unranked was because I had my kids around or had to leave soon and it wasn't the best time for me to play ranked games. At this point, I create unranked games because most players are not "adequate". If an adequate player joins and wants to play ranked, that's fine with me, as long as conditions are good that I can play a serious game.

Now, play another 100 games and see if you are still ranked higher than I am, Sohal. Personally, I doubt it.
sohal
User

PostPosted: 30.04.2014 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadistic wrote:
Now, play another 100 games and see if you are still ranked higher than I am, Sohal. Personally, I doubt it.

as buttwheat would say "L M F A O"
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 30.04.2014 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

sohal wrote:
sadistic wrote:

as buttwheat would say "L M F A O"

Never mind all that. Just get in there and play another 100 games. We'll see who is ahead at that point. Buttweep was a hero and a jackass at the same time; not an easy thing to pull off. God bless Buttweep and I hope he is enjoying stratego games with Bobbaloo, as they await the rest of us.
gentleben
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 01.05.2014 04:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadi, we went through this several years ago when you weren't here. The reason the rule was added was to prevent cherry picking, chief of whom was Dozer who was ranked number 1 with a high winning percentage, but he only played very low ranked players. He even had a 50 plus winning streak if I am not mistaken. After much discussion the current system was adopted and there has been very little problem (none really) since then.

Personally I play whoever wants to play and very rarely do I have a problem staying on the list. I know some do not want to play me (sometimes I sit for long periods of time waiting on someone to join while multiple players are online) but it has still almost never been an issue.
jensneuij
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 01.05.2014 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, it's an unnecessary system. Why would Dozer not deserve a high ranking just because he plays low ranked players? A 50 Win streak is impressive even if it's against low ranked players.

The basic ranking system is sufficient, if a top player wins against a low ranked player he won't get many points from it. If he loses he will lose alot of points. There's no need for a system besides that.

Last edited by jensneuij on 04.05.2014 11:07; edited 1 time in total
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 02.05.2014 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great system. Keep it this way.

The system prevents cherry pickers to go high on the list, like Sadistic and Flieger this year following Dozers footsteps.

Last weeks you are only playing unranked Sadi, dont become a chicken player with lame excuses and just play the topplayers. You were lucky the games against Razoa were unranked cause you mostly lost them.
sohal
User

PostPosted: 02.05.2014 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostly ??

gentleben
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 03.05.2014 00:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Ruben. And Jen, with all due respect, when you get to the top then we will see if cherry pickers bother you. Until then, no one should be ranked number 1 if they do not play enough top ranked players.
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 04.05.2014 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not play serious games in unranked games vs Sohal. In ranked games it is about dead even and the games are usually decided by a single piece or a lucky hit on either side. Stratego is a home hobby for me, hardly very important but just like anything, I play to win. Sohal takes it much more seriously than I do, scouting setups, writing down moved pieces etc. If this is the type of player that you admire, Ruben, that is your choice.

I recently played a ranked game vs Gentleben where he was up two caps 3/4 into the game but in the end, he lost both caps and was down a lieut. He had to lotto a sergeant with his major and finally some 30 turns later, lottoed my flag on his last breath, with his major.

I am very happy with my skill level in the game and I don't feel that there is a better skilled player.
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 04.05.2014 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruben87 wrote:
Great system. Keep it this way.

The system prevents cherry pickers to go high on the list, like Sadistic and Flieger this year following Dozers footsteps.

Last weeks you are only playing unranked Sadi, dont become a chicken player with lame excuses and just play the topplayers. You were lucky the games against Razoa were unranked cause you mostly lost them.

Ruben, you are talking out of your ass again. I have been creating unranked games because if I create a ranked game, I will be joined by an "unsuitable" player 9 times out of 10. Other times, I have personal distractions such as my children or responsibilities which require me to leave the house in say, 15 minutes; not good times to play ranked games. Flieger is a chicken sh1t who plays for draws and has found a way out of losses by doing so. Dozer does not want to play ranked games for whatever reason.

I reiterate, Sohal has fewer than half of the ranked games that I have. He has a lot of catching up to do before criticizing me.

When there is another gravon player who is half the man that I am, I'll let you know. Until then, sit the f(_)kk down and shut up.
gentleben
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 06.05.2014 03:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadi is a bit of a spin doctor, always in his favor of course. My win against him was much more calculated than he gives it credit. My final play for the flag was not a big lotto. I had already uncovered the flag earlier and played out the longer game to be sure it was there (waiting for more pieces to reveal themselves). And I lost the two caps discovering the setup, not unusual.

Sadi, you don't need drugs, you are already too high on yourself.
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 06.05.2014 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentleben wrote:
Sadi is a bit of a spin doctor, always in his favor of course. My win against him was much more calculated than he gives it credit. My final play for the flag was not a big lotto. I had already uncovered the flag earlier and played out the longer game to be sure it was there (waiting for more pieces to reveal themselves). And I lost the two caps discovering the setup, not unusual.

Sadi, you don't need drugs, you are already too high on yourself.

You lost the first captain deep in your territory, when I figured out it was a captain. Your second captain was taken moments before you lottoed on your last breath and the cap did not hit a single piece in my territory before being disposed of. Several turns before this, your major lottoed a serg and then backed out without hitting any of the nearby bombs or you would have lost.

Grizzlyben, your end game was more panic than calculated and I cannot blame you. After all, my glorious skill level was having its way with you.
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 07.05.2014 00:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of all this flirting why don't you two have a best of 5 or 7 series and see who wins?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: