SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USA vs. Euro
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 29.01.2014 15:59    Post subject: USA vs. Euro Reply with quote

Over the years, euros have certainly been better stratego players than americans, likely because they take it more seriously, have a calmer demeanor and most importantly, do not get laid as often (this scrambles the brain, you see).

In recent times, we have seen a handful of fine American players plowing their way to the top of the food chain and in memory of the beloved unbiasbob, I would like to present a challenge. Deron, Zach21, GrizzlyBen (nothing gentle about this mauler), Tableplay vs. 4 of your favorite regularly active European players in a tournament.

Perhaps we could deem it the Bobbaloo Tournament of Champions and participate in this once a year. I know, if there is life after death (to hell with Tableplay's atheist nonsense), unbiasbob will be watching and enjoying every move.

Now, don't go digging up ghosts from the past (Wussy, Lion, playa1, Lighty, morx etc). Put together 4 of gravon's active players, who play here regularly. Geez, you euros had some all time greats. Too bad they don't play anymore but you still have NoChance, DerMonster, Ace etc. (or whomever you choose to field) - a very strong crew.

Good idea?
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 30.01.2014 02:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

fonias, Rapunzel........first 4 high rated euros to agree, are in. I don't even have to ask the americans, especially zach the barbarian.
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 30.01.2014 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to join. But I might not be good enough for the top 4...
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 30.01.2014 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruben87 wrote:
I would like to join. But I might not be good enough for the top 4...

You are a solid euro player so I don't see why not. At least you expressed the interest.

Lets say we give it two weeks from my original post and the 4 highest ranked responders can participate. I would say that you have a good chance and this way, it is fair to all.
nochance
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 31.01.2014 21:10    Post subject: challenge... Reply with quote

"morx, lighty..."

interesting you know this names, Deron. You are playing here for how long?

Im not looking forward for a europe-USA-challenge. dutchs and germans in one team??? come on !!

Its also not easy to fix a team. By ranking? By a team-leader?

However, let's play stratego!
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 31.01.2014 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot more elite German players so you could argue for a Germany vs Rest of World event, but it doesn't have quite the same ring to it as USA v Europe! I think if a lot of players wanted in you would need to hold qualifying matches rather than just look at the rankings. However it seems not many are volunteering yet!

Deron you forgot to mention Sadistic in your list of old timers as well. You remember him I am sure.
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 01.02.2014 02:03    Post subject: Re: challenge... Reply with quote

nochance wrote:
"morx, lighty..."

interesting you know this names, Deron. You are playing here for how long?

Im not looking forward for a europe-USA-challenge. dutchs and germans in one team??? come on !!

Its also not easy to fix a team. By ranking? By a team-leader?

However, let's play stratego!

This is not the only stratego site and I have been playing for years. I know well of those elite players and refined my game against them as I was learning.
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 01.02.2014 02:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuel wrote:
There are a lot more elite German players so you could argue for a Germany vs Rest of World event, but it doesn't have quite the same ring to it as USA v Europe! I think if a lot of players wanted in you would need to hold qualifying matches rather than just look at the rankings. However it seems not many are volunteering yet!

Deron you forgot to mention Sadistic in your list of old timers as well. You remember him I am sure.

The point is, not many are left, for whatever reason. In addition, Zach, myself and a few other americans, have certainly gotten much better in recent times. Holland seems to have better players than Germany but both have certainly produced some excellent players.

Sadistic was an American so why would I list him? Yeah, yeah, I heard the same rumor.
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 01.02.2014 02:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you might need another player for the US team. But I believe Sadistic remains banned from the site. Or does he?

Yes some good Dutch players too but the German team would be very strong.

Anyone know where the mysterious Razoa is from? Sitting atop the rankings yet little is known about him!
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 01.02.2014 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuel wrote:

Anyone know where the mysterious Razoa is from? Sitting atop the rankings yet little is known about him!

I assume that Razoa does not mind that I disclose this information. He is from France and was the toughest opponent for me to beat at meta when I was playing there. I played him a few games here fairly recently and he won both of them, although he was getting owned in one and lottoed my flag with his last piece.

He is a very good player and I knew he would be at the top of the ranking if he were to join Gravon. I believe that he marks moved pieces, though and I am not a big fan of such tactics.
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 01.02.2014 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, he marks moved pieces on his computer screen? That's a bit much. I rarely forget whats moved, its one of my strengths I guess. It always amazes me how often an opponent will forget a piece has moved and I can just leave it there without worry. Anyway Razoa seems to be a top player, but it would be good if he played a bit more often. He could certainly be in the European team though.
zach21
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 03.02.2014 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a 4x4 tourney,,, of USA, Dutch, German, World?
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 04.02.2014 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, Zach.
jensneuij
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 04.02.2014 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the same tournament but with the lowest ranked players too?
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 04.02.2014 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

zach21 wrote:
what about a 4x4 tourney,,, of USA, Dutch, German, World?

Sounds good Zach. I propose to be Captain for the Dutch team and recruit the other 3 members. All right?

And Jens, that would be a unique concept. You can try organise the same challenge with the lower ranked people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: