SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A New Humper/Rank player Uncovered
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zach21
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 08.03.2013 22:39    Post subject: A New Humper/Rank player Uncovered Reply with quote

I wanted to nip this one in the butt before it hits the rank. There is a new rank player to be uncovered and we need to exploit this before they exploit the kleier ranking system...

Their name is "peka" hasn't lossed. I have seen them on a bunch and have watched my games a lot... Yet never joined never played? Then I look up profile 11 game straight undefeated... So a new user,, 11-0? Won't join my game? and watches all of them when they are on?

I see this as two things: ALIAS and Rank player trying to hump his way too the top

enjoy the investigation
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 09.03.2013 08:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Z, I was unaware he had won 11 to zero losses. I remember playing peka unranked and he was destroying me early as he grabbed the marsh, gen and a col while losing nothing. My last col was in a position to lotto away from his power pieces and I lottoed a spy in row 2 and nipped the flag underneath it. He did seem like a very talented player indeed. Havent played him again
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 09.03.2013 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 2 myself today who ignored requests for games and wouldn't join, but unlike Zach I wont name names. They know who they are.
zach21
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 09.03.2013 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuel were they rankers below 1300? that seams to be your modus operandi...

We've both been on, you never seem to challenge me
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 10.03.2013 00:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you're a bit paranoid Zach, we have played quite a few games. At this rate it will be that no one wants to play you!

The last few opponents I've played had the following ratings:

All adequate opponents. The two I reference, Im not sure but one is certainly above 1300 at least.
zach21
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 10.03.2013 00:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammy you haven't played me yet 2013?
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 10.03.2013 01:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

So? The all time classic score is 20-12 to you and 2 draws, which is about right given our respective rankings. 34 games, I'd hardly call that avoiding someone. Plus a lot of barrage too.

Paranoid.

The reason I mention the 2 today is because we were all in a room chatting and watching a game, and when it finished I asked them both for a game several times and neither responded in any way, just carried on talking about other things. If they had said "sorry Im going in a moment" or something, thats fine. I just found it interesting they both chose to ignore the multiple times I threw it out there. As far as I can recall, you've never been in a chat with me when a slot has opened up for a game and asked to play and I've just ignored you. Thats a bit different to not actively seeking you out for games!
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 10.03.2013 07:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different reasons why certain players dont play others. It's not always the case of fear. In some cases a gentleman likes to play other gents for example. I know for me this is a factor no matter what the rank of the player. It's no fun to play a jerk for example so why play one? This thread was about a humper in the making, nip the bud of a new humper so I dont know how it got sidetracked to who's afraid to play who. there is Zach's other thread on that. But the bottom line is in this game and I think I mentioned this before is that people can play who they want to play AND people can come here to the forum and comment about it. In the case of sammy he's a middle of the pack player so who he plays or who will or will not play him is pretty irrelevant as it's not like he's battling to get into the top 25 or anything. In Zach's case he in in the top 5 or 10 so he is fighting for the top which makes his commentary on this subject more relevant. Just my opinion
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 10.03.2013 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuel wrote:
So? The all time classic score is 20-12 to you and 2 draws, which is about right given our respective rankings. 34 games, I'd hardly call that avoiding someone. Plus a lot of barrage too.

Paranoid.

The reason I mention the 2 today is because we were all in a room chatting and watching a game, and when it finished I asked them both for a game several times and neither responded in any way, just carried on talking about other things. If they had said "sorry Im going in a moment" or something, thats fine. I just found it interesting they both chose to ignore the multiple times I threw it out there. As far as I can recall, you've never been in a chat with me when a slot has opened up for a game and asked to play and I've just ignored you. Thats a bit different to not actively seeking you out for games!

I think I know why those 2 persons didn't respond to you. They probably had you on ignore. If I am one of the persons you're referring to then yes I placed you on ignore after you insulted Becks. I did see you sitting on an unranked non viewing game but I couldn't see a word you typed. That ignore feature is great, yuo should try it sometime. I guess with 50 people online at that time you couldn't find a partner for that unranked game. Oh wait, did you have your finger on the clicker to make it a ranked game if the opponent was suitable? I think I understand now. You're the only player I know who uses that trick. Very creative
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 10.03.2013 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Bob Bob Bob.

Firstly I came in to watch your game with Becks and was offering support to you - you were slightly behind so I said I still thought you could win. Quite why you'd interpret that as an insult towards your opponent, I dont know. I actually followed that up by saying going on your ranking positions and experience, yes it would be an upset if he beat you - thats not insulting anyone, it's commenting on what the rankings show. If it was an insult I'd expect you to use the "send chat to admin" feature and complain, but you chose to use the ignore button which is a pity as the other 2 or 3 of us continued to have some interesting conversations. It also means when YOU were insulting Hamburgmichi by expressing surprise he beat me earlier in the day (going by your standards of insult at least) you wouldn't have seen my comments about us splitting 2 games and so on which the other people in the chat were responding to, so you'd have been seeing like half a conversation. Very bizarre and I feel a gross over-reaction to a comment made in support of you at the start!!

However you chose to ignore, and now you come on the forum saying its ok for Zach to name people he feels are ignoring him or being "humpers" which I feel is actually far more insulting than anything you could have taken offense to, and commenting on my setup options. You were saying in the chat yesterday you can't see the point of unranked games - a waste of energy as you said. If you had me on ignore you wouldn't have seen me saying I'd rather play someone than no one, and often unranked players are all thats available and its also a good opportunity to try new setups or have fun taking more risks than you normally can. So you then make assumptions about my setup options when actually, by leaving it unranked it means anyone can join the game and then if they are a ranked player, 99% would rather play a ranked game so I can tick the box, but if its an unranked player we can still play. I'd rather play a game than sit waiting longer, ranked or not. But you don't seem to have the same opinion so you think this is a dirty tactic or something. You forget that players have the option to decline setups and ask for a change to the options before they hit accept. But a lot of the time, a ranked player sits down and waits because maybe Im not looking at the screen at that moment, and they ask to make it ranked anyway, so that's also ok.

You hint I only want to play low rankers, well I posted the last few opponent ratings I've met with. Now lets see yours:

So quite a few learning points for you today Bob and I have to say, as someone who came in to show support for you yesterday in a game you could have won, and someone who I've had many good chats with the last few years, your comments today are disappointing. Especially on the back of a conversation I had with another player a few days ago who was telling me you'd been making sly digs at me before as well, and I told him that was probably a mistake on his part as you weren't that kind of guy.

Last edited by samuel on 10.03.2013 19:43; edited 1 time in total
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 10.03.2013 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Zach is in 5th place but is 130 or so points off the top spot, and im only 16 points off a top 25 place so that comment made no sense either. You didn't like it when Ruben (another top 10 guy) called you out, so how come you think its ok for Zach to do so?
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 11.03.2013 03:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sammy, don't misinterpret. I didn't anything regarding the rank of players you play or choose to play in this thread. I said "suitable" opponent. That can be a player of any rank that you are comfortable playing for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with it. As for Hamburgmichi, he gets my utmost respect. He is a very good player who has beaten players up and down the ranking list. Becks as well has beaten some high rankers. Anyone can beat anyone on a given day. For example we all remember the day last year when you got "gavroched", and as Zach reminded me recently, I got gavroched a few weeks ago. I see you played 4 very tough games yesterday. congrats on taking on those very tough players

I say we stop this topic here and now as it has been done to death. Of course you can do what you want but I'm done with the subject. I am glad Zach started the thread because I knew nothing about peka and it is interesting that his gravon career starts with 11 straight wins so good observation Z
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 11.03.2013 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuel wrote:
You didn't like it when Ruben (another top 10 guy) called you out, so how come you think its ok for Zach to do so?

Cherry picking seems to be recently an important issue on the topics. Everyone has an opinion of this (especially Bob, Zach, Samuel and myself) who are posting the most here these days. Maybe more people do this, or is there another reason why this is a big issue these days?

I think we cannot do and should not do anything (but posting) about this phenomenon and players who use bad advantages about this. The best contribution in years is adding the Non adq and ADQ list by the admins, it helped a lot. Nevertheless you always have people who abuse the system.

I think its more important to report people who are at top position while taking these advantages by cherry picking, than players who do that in lower positions like for example my poltergeist on this issue Unbiasbob, who is one of the biggest cherry pickers and system abuse players of this site (This fact can be best proven by himself while he also is the most dedicated statistic pro and I appreciate his postings concerning this). Anyway the unbiasbob rating juggling does not affect the top 25 rankings so its less important than someone doing this in the top ranks if you ask me.

On the other hand its still frustrating when someone keeps ignoring you and never joins your games because his rating or win% or whatever statistic is more important for him than to enjoy a nice game. It costs waiting time and its more fun to play different opponents. Furthermore someone can 'defend' his rating position. I think Zach shares my opinion about this. We are competitive players who play everyone and wishes more people would feel this way.

Finally I do understand some people dont want to play other people because they are not sportive, lotto too much or whatevery reason. This is the main reason why you cannot oblige someone to play you. Everyone is free to do so but you can count on some criticism here when you only have selfishness reasons for this.

Amen
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 11.03.2013 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

All well and good Bob, I just suggest next time you interpret something as an insult you hang around a bit longer to see what was actually meant before hitting the ignore button. Also I found your comments about not wishing to play unranked games a surprise as it turns out we've played more unranked than ranked games and you play unranked quite a bit. No, it doesn't matter, it was just odd that you said its a waste of energy when you do in fact play unranked games?

As for people not playing other people - if the ranking system works effectively, then it shouldn't matter. If a top 5 player is only playing players with under 1300, then he will of course have a high win %, but when he does lose the odd game here and there, the ranking system should work in such a way that he loses lots of points for just that one loss. Where if he lost to another top 5 player, he may not lose any or just 1 point. But Im not sure how the system really works and how reward and punishment is calculated in terms of ranking points depending on your opponent's rating.
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 11.03.2013 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuel wrote:
As for people not playing other people - if the ranking system works effectively, then it shouldn't matter. If a top 5 player is only playing players with under 1300, then he will of course have a high win %, but when he does lose the odd game here and there, the ranking system should work in such a way that he loses lots of points for just that one loss. Where if he lost to another top 5 player, he may not lose any or just 1 point. But Im not sure how the system really works and how reward and punishment is calculated in terms of ranking points depending on your opponent's rating.

Im not an expert in it either but players wouldn't cherry pick when there are no advantages. Dozer for example is higher on the rankings then he should be based on skill, the same may go for Unbiasbob and some other cherry pickers. But best to explain this is Bob himself. Im curious what his argument(s) are for playing about 85% players under 1400 rating.

Anyway you are right that one lose is killing against a low rating and that is what makes the Kleier rating a very solid system I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: