SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Letter to Hermann Kleier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotoriousSmaug

PostPosted: 29.01.2004 18:01    Post subject: Open Letter to Hermann Kleier Reply with quote

I am honoured that you chose my name to profile in your article entitled 'ISF-rating vs. the WSC rating'. I won't pretend to understand all the technical terms you are using. I have never played on WSC, and am relatively new to the game (couple years).

Questions on the graphs:
Refering to the pairing graph, I assume that dots above the line are wins and below the line are losses?

Comments on Playing styles:
It is true that I always try and select stronger opponents in order to better my game. Sometimes I win, but often I lose.

Notorious
Agresor
User

PostPosted: 30.01.2004 10:21    Post subject: Dont worry Reply with quote

hi
i read also this article and must say ,that all there is couple of nonsens!
So dont worry Notorious,this Kleier system is hopeless!

greetings!
Agresor O->#
Gluecksritter
User

PostPosted: 30.01.2004 16:41    Post subject: Re: Dont worry Reply with quote

Agresor wrote:
hi
i read also this article and must say ,that all there is couple of nonsens!
So dont worry Notorious,this Kleier system is hopeless!

greetings!
Agresor O->#

I consider it not appropriate to call it nonsense just because you don't understand it. Please have patience. Hermann puts very much time and effort in making the rating system better understandable.
If something is not clear, then ask. If you think that something is incorrect, say what is incorrect and why you think it is incorrect.
legolas

PostPosted: 30.01.2004 18:52    Post subject: pairing graph Reply with quote

Yeah,

it's true. The pairing graph is very confusing. Can U please describe it detailed at the ranking site, spion?

Regards
Legolas
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 31.01.2004 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i will. Up to now i will do it here first:

There you can see multiple lines of different colors. In fact they all do mean a similar thing.

On the x-Axis, the rating of your opponent is shown (numbers are still missing, this feature is brand new and not perfect yet).

From left to right it goes from 800 to 1800.
The y-Axis shows, how good you played against opponents of the given rating.

For an example, look at the first green point from the left. It is approx. at 1000 on the x-axis and 0 on the y-axis. That means you once played against an opponent with a rating of 1000 and lost.

Another example: Look at the rightmost green point. It is approx. at 1780 on the x-axis and on 0.25 on the y-axis. That means you managed to win against 1 out of 4 opponents with a rating of about 1780.

The blue line connects these points, though the exact values at non-green-marked points are not known, they were approximated by using a GAUSS distribution.

To get the red line, all games against opponents with a rating of -20 to +20 relative to the x-value have been collected and evaluated.

To bring it together:

The blue line with its green points shows your chances to win against opponents of a specific rating.

Usually this line will start very high, as it is easy to win against opponents with a low rating and will lower to the right because of low chances to beat strong players.
Yours just starts on the bottom because you only played one game against a weak player and lost.
The red line only starts at points with 5 or more games.

While the blue, green and red lines show values based on the games you really did play, the gray line shows the expected probability for you to win future games, based on the rating, which the Kleier system assigned to you.

I hope you can now understand the graphics.

Best regards
spion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: