SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A SURVEY ABOUT LOCK-UPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshal_hal
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 19.02.2010 00:02    Post subject: A SURVEY ABOUT LOCK-UPS Reply with quote

Today I played whiskey boy and after about 20 moves, only 4 known low pieces, my computer locked up. It took me awhile to get back online and when I was finally able to get back into the game, I had less than 6 minutes left on my clock. I asked whiskey boy for a draw and to start over. He did not reply so I offered a draw. He refused so I asked again and again he does not reply. I again offer a draw but it is refused. Now, there is 4 minutes left on my clock so I surrender and go to another room.

What is everyones opinion? Would you have accepted a draw and restarted this game?
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 19.02.2010 01:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 or even 4 minutes is still plenty of time as the clock doesn't move unless you take a few seconds to have a go so on most moves you wont lost time! I've lost games because of bad connections to players who are way below me, but I'd never consider asking for a draw after realising my connection is dodgy and I might run out of time or get cut off. Its not the other guys fault, why should he blot his record with a draw? He might be on his best ever winning streak or something like that, and therefore not want to draw as it would cancel that.
gentleben
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 19.02.2010 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal, I agree with Samuel, 6 minutes was enough time to finish the game. And it was not his fault you had connection problems. I once lost a game because a thunderstorm knocked out the power for 20 minutes but I did not ask Stratego or Spion to eliminate the game. I was sorry gpet0 had to wait out the clock to get the win.

Also think about it from his perpective. He had to wait which is frustrating and a draw hurts his ranking. It may not hurt as much as a loss but it is worse than a win.
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 19.02.2010 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If I was you Hal......I would have just continued the game as normal.
6 minutes is enough time and certainly a better option (for me) then to take a draw.
I understand your frustration about disconnects and computer problems. It happens to most people at some point or another. On average I get this problem 2 or 3 times per year........but as a percentage of games....this is maybe 0.5 to 0.75% of all games.

If your lucky your opponent will agree to void the game.......but not every one is so sporting.

In your example though.....I would have just played quickly with the 6 minutes remaining. Even anything down to 1 minute....and i would have just carried on the game .......but played quickly. Under 1 minute....i think i might have asked the opponent to void.........but knowing the rules here.... if he refused i know I have to play the game........personally i would much prefere even 30 seconds on the personal clock than to give the opponent a free win.
If you wanted a draw........this would be even easier to achieve than going for a win with the clock low.
As long as you do not take more than 2 or 3 seconds per move then your personal time will stay the same and not reduce. Only the game clock will go down.....and when that hits zero the game is a draw.
marshal_hal
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 22.02.2010 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I guess I was wrong. I only play for
enjoyment and good games, I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't give a crap about rankings. Give me back the ZONE where competition was good enough...lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: