SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History of FOSP tournaments/ American board game tournament?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshal_hal
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 29.02.2008 04:35    Post subject: History of FOSP tournaments/ American board game tournament? Reply with quote

I have had 10 FOSP(Federation Of Stratego Players) tournaments online, The first of which was in "The Zone"
So I thought it was time for a history lesson about FOSP:

FOSP was formed in January of 1978 when 3 people(2 of my brothers and another guy)would play Stratego every Thursday night at 11 PM. They would play each other(2 games each time) for 5 weeks. The winner would receive a case of beer from each of the others.

The second tournament was joined by 3 more players(one of which was another brother of mine) and was still played Thursday nights at 11 PM. The name FOSP was agreed upon at this tournament. A case of beer was still the prize to the winner and it was decided that the winner of each tournament would be given the name "Superstar"

The next tournament was joined by 2 more players(one of which was me, the only one under the age of 18 to be allowed into these tournaments, I was 14) A trophy was bought(The Jorge Cup) to be passed on each tournament to the winner, along with the traditional case of beer from each player and the title "Superstar"

The fourth tournament was joined by a total of 16 players and the games were moved to be played Sunday mornings at 9 AM. Everyone would still play 2 games a week but the tournament was expanded to 8 weeks long.

A flag was made with the FOSP logo on it and a letter was sent to Hasbro to tell them of our club. They gave everyone in the club a new game and banners and brochures if we would go to the "games expo" at the Hartford Civic Center.

By the sixth tournament, May 1979, there were 40 players split into 2 divisions. One would play Sunday mornings and the other on Thursday nights. The winner of each division would play in a best of 5 games playoff format. The case of beer from each player, The Jorge Cup, and the Allstar status were still the prize.

FOSP was disbanded after the eighth tournament in the winter of 1979 after a fight over where games would be played.

There were 3 Allstars throughout the history of FOSP. I won 1 tournament, my brother Jorge(who donated The Jorge Cup) won 3 tournaments, and a guy named Moe won 4.

In 2001 Moe had a tournament offering up The Jorge Cup as the prize. I won the tournament........Moe never gave me the troghy...LOL

That is FOSP history and I hope I haven't bored you too much.

If any of you fellow Americans in the Northeast are interested in a board game tournament, let me know. I could round up about 10 players from FOSP.

Marshal_Hal
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 29.02.2008 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome story there marsh; I have 1 question though: it sounds like Moe was a pretty decent player; how did Larry, Curly and Shemp fare?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: