SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time limit for 1 move.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gluecksritter
User

PostPosted: 02.02.2004 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

spion wrote:

What about this idea:

A time limit for the game. E.g. a player knows that he has only 1 hour to play. So he joins and enters the time limit, here 60 minutes. So each player will have 30 minutes for all his moves.

That's a very nice idea.
It could be better, however, if the personal time for each player was more than half of the total time, say 75% of the total time. If the total time runs out and both players have still some personal time, then it's a draw.
Why?
Let's say there was no total time, only a personal time of 30 minutes for each player. Then, after 20 minutes play, let the game be actually a draw. The Flags be surrounded by bombs, no miners left and both players have one piece which can move around a lake. Now player A has 25 minutes on his clock, player B's time be reduced to 15 minutes. So player A is not content with the draw but is trying to win by taking less or no more time for a move then player B, so that player B's time is running out first. That would be similarly dull as waiting 14 minutes for your opponent's next move. Situations like this would arise not very often, but I would guess they might arise in up to ten per cent of the games, depending on the players' style of playing.
With one hour total time and, say, 45 minutes for each player it might happen, too. But it would be less likely to succeed.

Another option is to limit the total number of moves. If it exceeds, say, 1000, then the game ends in a draw.

A third option is to use the Bronstein mode which is the mode on ISF face to face tournaments. Again, you have, for example, a total time of 50 minutes, personal time of 12 minutes, and 4 seconds for each move free. The advantage of the Bronstein mode is that you cannot force a win on time.

All these time modes have another drawback, though: A player being at a disadvantage might try to prolong the game by chasing pieces he cannot catch as long as it is allowed. This will always come to an end in theory because of the two-squares and more-squares rules, nevertheless the time can become annoyingly long and especially be long enough to force a draw on time (or even a win, if the time mode allows it).
To mitigate this, we could think about reducing the number of allowed moves by changing the two- and more-squares rule or inventing a new rule.

At playing without time there is little incentive to force moves that don't progress the game.

Last edited by Gluecksritter on 03.02.2004 15:43; edited 1 time in total
MSP

PostPosted: 02.02.2004 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move fast is a skill in my eyes. When you move fast, you really can simulate that a miner is a general for example. And its more fun, now its very boring to play here. There are just a few attackers here and many dudes that do 1 forward, 1 back , 1 to the left etc. And they need to think very long for that to! My God thats not Stratego! Stratego is to kill, play poker or not play poker and destroy the enemy!!!

I also wanna say my cousin played with this name, he whont play anymore with this name!
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 03.02.2004 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

All time limits have a drawback:

If a player gets disconnected, the server will take up to 15 minutes to recognize this. That means a player who got disconnected, may run out of time even though he is not online any longer.

On the other hand, if i would say ok, no move made, player disconnected, so reset the time for his last move, players may find a way to "force" a disconnection and so get time to think about a move without any clock running...

The same problem applies to a number of problems with the client, the internet connection,...

I dont know a solution yet.

Thank you Gluecksritter for the explanation of the Bronstein clock. I think i will implement it here. Seems to be the best solution.

Best regards
spion
Gluecksritter
User

PostPosted: 03.02.2004 15:41    Post subject: Bronstein clock Reply with quote

There's another thing about the Bronstein clock and other time modes that use total and personal times, that many players won't like: If at some point in the game a player has more personal time than total time, then he can choose to stop playing and wait until the total time runs out and secure a draw, even if his opponent is only one square away from his flag.
To make this happen not too often, you can simply increase the total time. On face to face tourneys mostly 50 minutes are chosen for organisational reasons. Here on gravon we face less organisational restraints.

Last edited by Gluecksritter on 06.02.2004 18:39; edited 1 time in total
MSP

PostPosted: 03.02.2004 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayby its better that everyone can set the time. When time is up, time is up!
And 15 minutes to reconnect, what to do if someone goes in and out all the time?
BradS

PostPosted: 03.02.2004 22:43    Post subject: Re: Time limit for 1 move. Reply with quote

MSP wrote:
Who agree or disagree with a time limit for 30 seconds for a move?
15 Minutes is way to much, I gave up that way...

That is too short. I get disconnected sometimes. I need at least 5 minutes if that happens.
googoomuck
User

PostPosted: 07.02.2004 06:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a blitz or speed Stratego option? 5 minutes per player. Classic Stratego maybe 15-20 minutes per player. Suspend the game clock when a player disconnects so 15 minute disconnect clock doesn't run out your game clock.
mm

PostPosted: 07.02.2004 19:17    Post subject: actual facts Reply with quote

if a player says he will be back in 2 min, but it becomes 5, and I offer him a draw, but he is not there to say yes or no, and then i leave, and then he comes back, (and i'm stilll gone), but he cant click yes or no to the draw because he's the only one in the room, then what happens if he allows another player to join, and then tells that player to wait 10 more minutes (he's already joined), then the guy takes his 10 min break, and the new joining player leaves, is this new player subject to the 15 min forfeit rule.
And if so, why doesn't the screen send a message after 40 min of waiting and still the server has not announced the 10 min break dude the win?

a plays b, b offers draw, no response - b leaves gravon.
a cannnot agree to draw, he's alone.
c offers to join a, a accepts, a declines draw offer, then c joins but leaves.
45 min goes by and a is still waiting to be declared winner, but server just sits, no message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: