SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time limit for 1 move.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSP

PostPosted: 13.11.2003 23:27    Post subject: Time limit for 1 move. Reply with quote

Who agree or disagree with a time limit for 30 seconds for a move?
15 Minutes is way to much, I gave up that way...
Gaius_Marius
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 14.11.2003 01:54    Post subject: DISAGREE! Reply with quote

Should be a minute per move. 30 seconds is not long enough
-deleted223

PostPosted: 28.12.2003 07:25    Post subject: Time limit. Reply with quote

There are idiots here, who take the time when they are losing!
So I agree to change the time from 15 minutes to well lets say 1 minute.
And if they not move, they also can loose the turn instead of hte game.
Dammit, I lost this way to. Concentration goes away and I dont like it anymore this way. So change it!!! Or make a option to fill in the time!
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 30.12.2003 06:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Ok, i will add an option to limit the time for a single move to 1 minute. This will take a few weeks and will not be available for the tourney games.

Happy new year!

spion
cosmo
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 30.12.2003 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gotta be kidding right surely you cant just say 1 min per move period anyone who plays stratego knows some moves take time , i play fast myself but sometimes i can take 2 mins on a move as im sure many players do .
surely a better solution would be an option to set amount of time taken on a move which both players agree too
as you may or may not know some players like to go for a smoke during long games so you just suddenly cut time to 1 min you really think those players will bother to play here ? I THINK NOT

cos
wsc_warrior
User

PostPosted: 31.12.2003 03:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Cosmo, I play other players that smoke and they need to go outside to have one, which is no problem with me. Maybe but in a option when choosing classic,UL, or Barrage. Some players like fast games others like time to think.

See ya on the Battle Field
Warrior Out
hammertime

PostPosted: 22.01.2004 04:32    Post subject: 90 seconds? Reply with quote

1st. Smoking is bad for your health.
2nd. If a person can't wait 30 minutes between cigarettes they have a serious problem and maybe should get some help.
3rd. It sounds like Spion is giving the option to select a time period--not mandatory. So if a person does want a time period, just don't join the game.

Is there a way to provide extra time..say 10 minutes for a turn if you are disconnected. Otherwise, there could be a problem with 1 or 2 minutes because most people cannot get reconnected in less than 5 minutes.
Legolas

PostPosted: 25.01.2004 14:21    Post subject: 1 Minute? - No! Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

1 minute is no good idea. Often my stratego hangs and I have to leave Gravon. That takes more than a minute. And I think often a player has problems with his system. Another point, if I play in the evening, sometimes the bell rings, or i have to to look at my children. Maybe 10 minutes is a good time.

Legolas
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 26.01.2004 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

ok new idea:

We could make a time limit for a group of moves.

E.g. 5 Minutes to make 3 moves.

That would mean that a player can think about single moves a little bit longer.

Still this would be only an option which can be turned on or off.

The remaining problem is the disconnection problem. It takes up to 15 minutes for the server to recognize that a player got disconnected..

Before i can implement the time limit option, i have to think about a solution for this problem.

Best regards
spion
the_freak

PostPosted: 26.01.2004 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

A time limit for a game which has everything to do with thinking???? hmmmmm it doesn't sound good to me.....
Sure i agree that if your opponent is losing and taking the whole 15 mins it can be really bad an frustrating but........

I sometimes had those game i took 15 mins or maybe longer to think about one single move.......it happens rarely but it would be bad too if you are in a great game and you will lose it because of a mistake which you made because of the time pressure and you had to move.......

I usualy move within 20 secs each move but sometimes you just need time......some games are that close that winning or losing a game can depend on one single move......and maybe that is the move i had to move to fast because of the time limit......
cosmo
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 27.01.2004 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont really think UL needs time limits as lets face it its a fast game period some moves take time yes but moves generally are taken at a fair pace and i think moves that are forced to be hurried in ul are far more damaging than a rushed move in classic , because of the rescue feature and nature of the game sometimes moves in ul need a lot of attention so i say alter classic however u wish but leave ul as is

cos
avstudio1

PostPosted: 29.01.2004 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a time limit is required.

How about a retentive move limit for the total game per player? Say 30 minutes of move allowed per player per game? Total game time not to exceed 60 minutes?

Notorious
ghochan1

PostPosted: 29.01.2004 18:52    Post subject: time limits Reply with quote

I think that any time limitations should be kept optional. When we still played on the zone, I had one game go more than 4 hours. Here, where the interface is much faster, I have still played individual games that went 2 - 3 hours. The reason for this had nothing to do with move time, but rather with the fact that both players were very defensive. It took a good 15 minutes for the first attack, and that resulted in the exchange of scouts.

I understand that it's frustrating to deal with poor sportsmen who run down the clock to get you to resign, but I wouldn't want to limit the potential for epic, well-thought-out battles because of the bad behavior of a few individuals. Perhaps what is needed is an arbitration function on this site so that the results of games can be overturned if necessary. For example, if one player runs out the 15 minute clock before every move and the other player has to leave, thus forfeiting the game, that result should be overturned so that the offending player does not benefit from his bad behavior.
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 01.02.2004 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

After reading your comments and thinking about things, i got another idea.

Time limits for single moves are bad. Some moves will be done very fast, some moves will require some thinking and so require time.

On the other hand, some guys tend to use 14 minutes for every move just waiting for their opponents to run out of time and leave.

What about this idea:

A time limit for the game. E.g. a player knows that he has only 1 hour to play. So he joins and enters the time limit, here 60 minutes. So each player will have 30 minutes for all his moves.

A player who runs out of time will loose. This will resolve the problem about taking 14 minutes for every move.

I could even add an option to make it possible to choose a longer time limit while the game is running (only if both players agree, of course).

I think this would be a better solution than simple time limits for single moves, wouldn`t it?

Please feel free to comment my idea

spion
llimoincula

PostPosted: 02.02.2004 18:26    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

yes, spion, very similar to chess timing---all good ideas above are present in this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: