SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To the players not available today in the finals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> Stratego-Archiv
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 01.07.2006 20:21    Post subject: To the players not available today in the finals Reply with quote

Hello,

12 players qualified for the finals:

skywalker
Brass
oli
OGETARTS
citron505
Keyser_Soze
lightwing
AceRimmer
esquire
Warhero_POW
gpet0
playa1

ONLY FIVE OF THEM have been there to play: AceRimmer, lightwing, oli, citron505 and lightwing. Thank you!

To the remaining 7 players:
The only one who had a valid excuse was OGETARTS (emergency at work).

Brass, Keyser_Soze and playa1 seem to not have read the tourney rules completly. Otherwise all three of them would have known that the finals had to be played at 1st of July, at right this single day. I spelled that all in uppercase letters on the tourney page!

Warhero_POW came 2 hours too late. And even worse, gpet0 and skywalker did not show up at all. No excuse, nothing. skywalker, what about your forum posting where you stated clearly that you will be here??!

Some of you have asked why the finals should be played at this date and at a single day only. This question is valid and it would have been possible to discuss that. BUT: NOT a FEW DAYS before the finals. There have been WEEKS to discuss about the finals and how and when they could have been played. But since nobody said anything, i thought this is ok for all players who joined.

The best joke was a player asking his group stage opponent for the tourney game TODAY while the finals were running! Can you read rules? Perhaps you should try to.

Even Gravon members not playing in the tourney knew about the finals!

The way this all went is totally unacceptable for me. 12 players should have been there, 5 have been. A hole saturday for planning and running the tourney for not even half of the players i expected!

I'm thinking about not to allow the 6 missing players to join the next tourney.

spion
lightwing
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.07.2006 00:06    Post subject: Re: To the players not available today in the finals Reply with quote

spion wrote:

I'm thinking about not to allow the 6 missing players to join the next tourney.

However it aren't my bussines, i agree with you, spion.
brass
User

PostPosted: 02.07.2006 08:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Spion.
You are making a mistake there.
I think everyone had read the rules of the tournament and were completely understandable!
There are people like me and Keyser_Soze who work rotating 24 hours shifts at their jobs. We also work on Sundays and Holidays. The work program is not known in advance a month earlier! Even though we read the rules, we could not know if that specific Saturday we would be working or not. Since the job is more important than the Stratego game, there is no dilemma which to choose. Its not fair for us to be accused of luck of interesting.
We have proved with our participation to the first round all those 4 weeks that we were interesting and exciting about that tournament. The idea of finishing the tournament in one and only afternoon was totally wrong. I had expressed my worries about that. People from three Continents and many different countries with a great time difference were participating to the tournament. It was so obvious that gathering them all together at the same time was impossible! Let that be a little lesson that next tourney, MUST NOT be in such a rush. What was the need to finish it in a day? Gravon is not a yahoo chess game room that everyone is on-line at the same time and that’s why people come here to play.
Tournaments usually composed of two-three rounds to be played and not some Swiss-perfect sudden death!
I hope next one will be more organised as this one was up to the first round.

P.s
Lightwing, You are right,
Mind your own business!
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 02.07.2006 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The problem with swiss perfect is: You can't continue without having all players together at the same time.

Assume to play 6 rounds of swiss perfect for the finals. The pairings of round 2 depend on the results of round 1. Round 3 on results of 2 and so on.

So every player will have to be online at each day the finals are played. If we can't get them all together at one day, how should we get them together at two days?

If i would have extended the time per round to several hours, the chances would have been higher to get all players but the ones who are not at work would have had to wait hours for the next game and it would have taken tons of my time to run that.

At the last official tourneys, players had one week to play each round. Time enough to get all games played you might think? Totally wrong. I had problems over problems. We had a date at which a game had to be played at the latest each week. Many games had not been played up to that date and at the date no or only one of both players had been online.
Players in this tourney had THREE weeks of time to get 4 games played each. 8 games have still been missing yesterday.

An alternative would be to play the finals using a KO system. But the problem of swiss perfect partially applies to KO also: You can't play semifinals until quarterfinals have been played. The only advantage is that you can divide the field into two parts. One part could have played up to the semifinals at one day, the other part at another day with the final at the second or even a third day.
I doubt that this would have reduced the problem: Now half of the players had to be online at one day. The other half at the other day. Mathematically the same as to have all online at one day...

It was an attempt to get a tourney played this way. Not a good attempt as has been proven now.

Next time i will think about another way.

But the main argument remains: All participants knew how the tourney will be played. Why did you join the tourney when you did not know wheter you can play the finals or not? Why didn't you tell me in the first week of June about that problem?

-

I welcome every suggestion about how to run a new tourney.

Best regards
spion
lightwing
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.07.2006 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a KO will be much better. or first a competition, and then a KO
skywalker
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.07.2006 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi spion,

i'm so sorry. i was 100% sure the finals would take place on sunday.
wasn't there a discussion about sunday?
oh man... sorry again for that.
but it looks like i'm not the only one who made a stupid mistake

luke
eindhoven
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 03.07.2006 05:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

hallo,

don,t complain, you knew the rules and when it not possible

DON'T JOIN

don't talk just play.................
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 07.07.2006 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tourney did not go very well, but we can learn about it.

I think in the poule phase its the players who dont play and dont make appointments.

In the Final round it was not only the players, All final players on line on one day does not work is the conclusion.

I think a KO system is indeed better. It just takes some more time.
lightwing
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 07.07.2006 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, spion could have given wildcards, to the players who are onnline, just an idea.
eindhoven
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 07.07.2006 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice idea .................. that you say that.........i'm VERBAASD...

but nice to see you writhing in a decent way.......

good job Lightwing

greatings from eindhoven
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 08.07.2006 01:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised
lightwing
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 08.07.2006 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> Stratego-Archiv All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: