SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should the Champions of Europe be allowed to play?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> Allgemeines Archiv
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ace

PostPosted: 09.06.2005 11:58    Post subject: Should the Champions of Europe be allowed to play? Reply with quote

hi

On a Sports theme, here's a question for football fans!

Should Liverpool F.C. be allowed into next seasons European Champions League?

Reasons for and against:

For: They are the Champions of Europe and i have always known for the champions of a competition to gain automatic entry into the following seasons event........an example is the World Cup, where the winners automatically qualify for the next World Cup....they dont need to qualify in the usual manner.

Against: They didn't make the grade in the English league and finnished in 5th or 6th place. Thus outside the qualifiying positions.

Any votes for or against?

Personally i think they did very well to the Champions League this year, and think they deserve the chance to defend there crown.
But what do you think?

Ace
jerry
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 10.06.2005 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice e-mail to send Tommy Smith and Derek Ray, They answer questions from around the world, via ESPN, were I see what they say to Questions of this nature.

I,m sure i can get the Link 4 yu Kipper, if required.

Cheers Jerry.
Gluecksritter
User

PostPosted: 10.06.2005 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been quite disappointing if the champion didn't get a chance to defend the title. And I have no doubt that Liverpool did very well, won sympathy, and will be an enrichment for the champions league.
I welcome the decision to change this rule, but I think it's just not fair to change rules after the event. If I were in the UEFA, I would have voted for changing the rules, but not before the season after next.
Seemingly, the UEFA Executive Committee doesn't want to resemble a high court, but prefers to make political decisions, taking moods and financial interests into account.
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 10.06.2005 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi glue

Your right glue it would be a shame if the holders didnt participate next year and yeah, i guess it would also be a bit unfair on the unfortunate team which was dropped down to the qualifiying stages.
But for next seasons competition i definatly think the champs should get a automatic position in the competition.

And thanks for the help jerry!

Ace
cosmo
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 10.06.2005 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a liverpool fan i ofcourse am delighted we have been allowed to defend our crown in my view all champions should get to defend it after all it is the champions league .
However had it come down to everton missing out to allow liverpool in i would have been against that after all everton twice won the as was back then the 1st DIV and never got to play in the european cup due to the disgraceful liverpool fans who caused the deaths of so many juve fans on that dreadful night .
Our pre-season is now messed up but so what think of the money the 6 matches will bring in
One final thing the world champions dont get automatic qualification which is totally stupid Brazil will qualify ofcourse as four qualify from they didnt that would be unthinkable the rules need changing id say

cos
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 11.06.2005 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cosmo

Yes you have a good point!

But im very surprized that things have changed,with Brazil having to play qualifying matches!

I always understood the World Champs getting automatic qualification.
I'm SURE France never had to play and qualifiying games after they won it in 98'.
And the same goes for 66' when England won.........maybe the rules changed very recently......but if so.....i think the rules should be changed back.

Oh.....and nice hearing from you again cosmo!

Ace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> Allgemeines Archiv All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: