SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gentleben passed away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 25.07.2020 13:01    Post subject: Gentleben passed away Reply with quote

Im very sad to hear that Gentleben has passed away. I read a topic about it on stratego.com. My condolances goes to his Family, friends, relatives and all who had a good bond with him Unfortunately I haven't spoke or played Ben in years (2014 to be precisely). Recently he played some tournaments on .com.

I have very good memories about Gentleben on gravon. I searched some of the statistics here. He began playing since 2006. He played over 5000 games at Gravon! His last game on gravon was in 2016. After that he has played a lot on this website and I liked to read posts about him. There were some posts and I think even topics which were about his unique aggressive playing style with his marshall. He always like to play like this as far as I can recall.

I remember Gentleben as a very kind, sympathetic person and a very sportive player. We used to talk after a game and he explained for example why a certain (crazy) setup would often work.

He used to be active on these Gravon forum. I just searched him up and see he won the ''FOSP tourney 2009''. This was his reaction:

''Thanks to all for a good tournament and to Hal for coordinating it. I look forward to the next one.

''I felt good playing this one but you never know what can happen in a tournament. There were alot of good players in this tournament that could have won it. I always enjoy a good game and NoChance, Ruben or anyone else, we can play anytime you want to. Players with a good attitude like yourselves are always welcome.

As for a room name, it would be so far down the list few would play there. But hopefully the bad guys would stay out of a gentle room.

See you all online soon. Ben''

I also saw a post where he made his own rating. Ben didn't like Cherry Pickers so he made a rating list where he only counted games against a 1500+ ratings.

This last post is maybe the best. It is a post where he talks about his nickname (Gentleben):

''Thanks to specter and bob for the comments. I have enjoyed games with both of you and to be compared with oge is a compliment.

Also thanks to lightwing for pointing out the edit function, now if I could only figure out how to use it, it would be better.

And if anyone is interested, my nick is not so much a play on words for "gentleman" though that is good. It is actually a name I picked up in high school my friends gave me because I was quiet and "gentleben" was the name of the grizzly bear on a popular tv show at the time. So I didn't mind being named after a large aggressive carnivore. And that is how my play is, aggressive. So it is actually oximoronic. Not moronic, which would describe anyone who idolizes Sadistic.

Thanks again guys, Ben.''

Ben will be missed. R.I.P.
count_floyd

PostPosted: 25.07.2020 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had nothing but great admiration and respect for Ben ,,a real gentleman and played the game with class..NEVER complained about anything.
R.I.P Ben.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: