SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good game, No Chance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 23.03.2014 14:17    Post subject: Good game, No Chance Reply with quote

I would like to commend NoChance for a wonderful game that we played yesterday. This is the way stratego is supposed to be played. It was a grinding struggle from beginning to end and its finality, came down to a 50/50 guess on my part as to which of his 2 last pieces was a miner. Unfortunately for me, I guessed the wrong one and lost but this was the best game I played in a while because although he lottoed a miner which ended up the difference in the game, at least he did not turn it into the mindless game that so many have, by wacking some pieces early and hoping for the best.

Clearly, my superior skill level was evident but maybe NoChance saw it differently. Regardless, good game, NC and hope to play more such games.

Last edited by sadistic on 24.03.2014 13:27; edited 1 time in total
wellington
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 24.03.2014 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

my superior skill level was evident

hehe... always puts a little smile on my face.
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 24.03.2014 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a bit more boasting and I will draw out a few more of you former euro players. Why do you not play anymore, Wellington? Are you aware that you and your brethren euros are about to be crushed in a USA vs Euro tourney? Are you just going to sit there and allow it to happen or are you going to fight back?

Most euros are hiding and shivering in fear. Does this include you, Welli? I think it does, if I may be so bold.
nochance
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 24.03.2014 17:49    Post subject: Lotto? Reply with quote

It was a good game. I made 3 small gifts. Stupid by me - or great by you (what you may say). Sure, we can play again.

But one thing: i lottod a miner by a Sergeant in the middle of the game and my sergeant was already a dead unit- great lottoing
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 24.03.2014 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small gifts, my buttocks. I was rough-housing you all over the board and you were simply not prepared for my new, aggressive-yet precise style.

That miner made the difference in the game because I guessed incorrectly at the end. If I had guessed correctly, you would have lost. With one more miner, the game would have been mine either way.

Please be honest and admit that you closed your eyes, took a deep breath and clicked your sinful mouse with the soul of the lotto devil. NoChance, thou hath sinned.
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 24.03.2014 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington wrote:
my superior skill level was evident

hehe... always puts a little smile on my face.

Yes Wellington, hope you will join the euroteam Great to see youre back and how!
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 24.03.2014 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely by admitting you guessed at the end of the game Sadi, you too are admitting to lottoing? Had you picked correctly you would have to attribute the win to a lotto move? You could argue that NC did it first which forced your hand (though using a sergeant is generally not what lottoing is all about, it's usually done with a much higher rank than that) but two wrongs don't make a right, surely?
jensneuij
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 25.03.2014 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotto is using an important piece to attack an unknown and unmoved piece. It doesn't matter if it's a sergeant or a marshall. It all depends on the current state of the game.
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 25.03.2014 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

jensneuij wrote:
Lotto is using an important piece to attack an unknown and unmoved piece. It doesn't matter if it's a sergeant or a marshall. It all depends on the current state of the game.

This should be added to the Stratego-dictionary! Theres no better way to describe it.
nochance
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 25.03.2014 19:15    Post subject: Lotto Reply with quote

Lotto is, when the opponent cries

But well, I was leading by 2 sergeants at this time and my sergeant couldn`t run away anymore
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 25.03.2014 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - if you are going to lose a piece anyway and have a guess at something in the back row, that isn't lotto as you've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Jens based on your definition, every single game ever played must start with lotto. Until someone makes an attack, no piece on the board is known so you have to do some initial investigation work which isn't really lotto, unless you plough straight in with an important piece. The main value of sergeants, scouts and lieu's is to find stuff out - how can you do that if you never attack anything at the start?
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 26.03.2014 03:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuel wrote:
But surely by admitting you guessed at the end of the game Sadi, you too are admitting to lottoing? Had you picked correctly you would have to attribute the win to a lotto move? You could argue that NC did it first which forced your hand (though using a sergeant is generally not what lottoing is all about, it's usually done with a much higher rank than that) but two wrongs don't make a right, surely?

I did not lotto. I had to guess which of two pieces was a miner. Both had moved. No Chance was begging for a draw but I do not play for draws if avoidable so I took a chance but was wrong in the end. NC lottoed three times during the game, twice it paid off for him. My superior play took me from a deficit, to a position of determining my fate. NC is having difficulty coming to terms with the reality of what this game exposed.

There were a handful of female fans watching the game and all were aroused by my stunning skills. None of these females have expressed any interest in NC at all, instead opting for the superior genetic code that was evident in this battle, as it ensued. In other words, the winner was the loser and the loser was the winner.

Please, No Chance, come to terms with this or I shall have no other option but to thrash you about, yet again.
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 26.03.2014 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuel wrote:
Yes - if you are going to lose a piece anyway and have a guess at something in the back row, that isn't lotto as you've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Jens based on your definition, every single game ever played must start with lotto. Until someone makes an attack, no piece on the board is known so you have to do some initial investigation work which isn't really lotto, unless you plough straight in with an important piece. The main value of sergeants, scouts and lieu's is to find stuff out - how can you do that if you never attack anything at the start?

I think you didnt understand Jens statement. I think he meant that in the endgame the sergeants can be the toppieces and its lotto to hit an unmoved piece with that (of course if many bombs are still unknown). In the beginning its far from lotto because they are worth very little.
wellington
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 26.03.2014 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ sadi: unfortunately I have so little time nowadays. I can try join the Euro team. When I started this game some 10 years ago I didn't have a kid, now I do. Makes life a little harder and I turned to another game. I play chess when I have some spare time left which is rare. I'm glad to hear you haven't lost your godmode playstyle yet. I was always impressed by your superior skill and writing afterwards. Only for these 2 things I would gladly return to the stratego board.

Tell me when the tourney starts and I might just join.
jensneuij
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 26.03.2014 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruben87 wrote:
samuel wrote:

I think you didnt understand Jens statement. I think he meant that in the endgame the sergeants can be the toppieces and its lotto to hit an unmoved piece with that (of course if many bombs are still unknown). In the beginning its far from lotto because they are worth very little.

This.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: